By Barb Bruno | Monday November 12, 2013
It is important for you to continually upgrade and attract new clients. Most individuals in our profession generate 75% of their sales from less than five clients. That is not recession proof and could lead to inconsistent sales and profits.
Before you implement the seven most overlooked tips, conduct revenue modeling so your marketing efforts target your best business. Study where your firm has successfully made placements and fills; not where you are writing job orders, temp assignments or contracts. 85% of marketing efforts should target your best business.
SEVEN OVERLOOKED TIPS:
1. Target 30 companies or people you have identified as the best prospects for your business. Research these targets, as well as their top competitors. You must now figure out what problems they are currently facing that you will solve.
2. Develop a follow-up process for your prospective clients. Remember, it takes six contacts to gain name recognition. Begin with your top ten target companies and contact them six times in the first nine weeks to gain name recognition. Then follow-up with a unique marketing presentation at least once a month.
3. Less than 3% of all new business owners follow-up with prospects after three months. In business, persistence does result in more business. Each quarter target 10 additional companies until you have contacted all thirty targeted companies.
4. Write a list of your "sphere of influence"… people you know well that have influence within your community or specifically within the area of specialization or niche you are targeting as prospective customers. Call each one of them personally, and ask them to provide you with leads for building your business. Referred business is the best business.
5. Personalize everything you do from this point on. Technology has taken the personal element out of daily activities of many businesses. Make it a practice to have at least every third contact a conversation, not an email. The day of the personalized note cards is back and will help you stand out in the crowd. Direct mail is actually working because your prospects are getting less mail. Send your sales pieces in unique containers and envelopes to draw attention to your marketing pieces and show your personality.
6. Ask, ask, ask your current client base for more business, and referrals to other businesses who could utilize your services. Then immediately enter them in your follow-up process. Offer some type of referral bonus if their referral hires from you.
7. Remember, people do things for their own reasons not yours. If your current clients cannot receive payment for a referral, offer to donate to their favorite charity in their name for referred business.