We all want to increase our billings as recruiters but sometimes it seems that no matter what we do, we are stuck on a treadmill and not getting ahead. What if the secret to success isn’t necessarily working more hours but rather working more effectively for our bodies to maintain energy and confidence. Although we think we are being super productive working 10 hours straight, humans are built to be more active and sedentary jobs are now being called as bad as smoking for our health. A recent study estimates that nearly 80 percent of adult Americans do not get the recommended amounts of exercise each week, setting themselves up for years of health problems. Another study also demonstrated that prolonged sitting at work raises the risk of dying from cardiac and metabolic diseases. Some companies are recognizing the need for movement at the office and there is a growing trend in the workplace towards adjustable workstations that allow workers to sit or stand during the day with a treadmill underneath because of the enormous health care costs for companies. But for most of us who don’t have stand up desks, simply finding ways to create more movement in our lives is a challenge.
What does movement have to do with success you may ask and how will it help me increase my billings as a recruiter? Great questions and hard research shows that exercise will naturally increase our confidence and help us stay healthy to attract the success we all desire. Physical exercise is a great way to alleviate stress but it also has so many positive benefits for our body and confidence. When we exercise EVERY DAY we move and also open ourselves up to creating change in other areas and changing some of our not so healthy habits that might be sabotaging our success.
First of all let’s talk about the incredible benefits of physical exercise. Exercise will boost our energy, and endurance. Daily exercise with hard cardio boosts endorphins which make us feel happy-naturally!!. Research has shown that exercise can slow or help prevent heart disease, type 2 diabetes and osteoporosis and it strengthens the muscles and joints and boosts immune function. There isn’t a major health problem where exercise doesn’t have a positive effect.
For those how already exercise, remember to include cardio, strength training and stretching in your weekly regime for maximum benefits. For those who want to getting moving more, remember staying in shape doesn’t have to be drudgery! Instead of dragging yourself to the gym, let’s work to create excitement and consistency in working out and the below tips will hopefully help you keep your motivation strong. Below are some Exercise Tips to boost movement in your day so you can increase your energy and confidence…and your recruitment success in your life and create better lifelong habits for your health as well:
1. Exercise in the morning- to boost boost your metabolism, burn fat, increase your confidence and energize you for the rest of the day. Join a gym or go swimming- on your lunch hour. Aim to exercise every day-incorporate cardio, strength training and stretching. Stop Exercising at least 2 hours before going to bed- to get a good sleep as exercise activates a mechanism in the brain that keeps you alert.
2. Exercise at work-Take the stairs- instead of the elevator or go on a power walk outside with another recruiter to brainstorm instead of sitting in a meeting room... Walking at a brisk pace for 3 or more hours a week reduces coronary heart disease by 68%. Studies show that people who exercise outside in fresh air feel less fatigued and more invigorated than those who stay inside.
3. Get up from your desk every 20 minutes or do desk exercises –. You can google to find a ton of them on line to mix it up throughout the day. My website www.abcshealth2success.com has a great free download with desk exercises
4. Set Goals- Put your fitness goals on paper or use your Transformational Health and Success Workbook to describe in detail what you want to achieve and how you plan to get there this year. For example, if you want to run a 10k race but haven’t worked out in years, start with a 30 minute walk 3 times a week and gradually increase speed, then incorporate weights into your workout. Go slow so you can create healthy success.
5. Make Movement part of your daily routine- Find any physical activity that you enjoy like running, yoga, gardening, hiking and make it part of a daily routine. Make time for physical activity throughout the day and put it in your schedule so there is no excuse not to do it! It can be as simple as taking the stairs instead of the elevator or walking on your lunch hour. You can even watching the kids play sports. Put it right in your schedule so there is no excuse to do it! Remember to vary the routine to work different muscles (I alternative swimming, running, weights, hiking, soccer and Martial Arts to keep it fun and varied)
6. Have fun- It is important to look forward to physical exercise so you will continue to do it and create healthy habits. If you are dreading the work-out then you need to find something you enjoy instead like ballroom dancing or a walking club. If you are having fun and meeting new people, you will feel more energized and it could even lead to more business.
Getting a work out buddy can help keep motivation on track for those days when you are dragging your feet. Consider playing more often with your kids outside or doing group activities with friends or neighbors.
7. Reward your Success- Whenever you reach a milestone, reward yourself with a movie, book, outfit or something meaningful and small. This will help to reinforce your commitment to long term goals and help you develop the regular work-out habits for optimal health. Remember to be gentle with yourself if you miss your target or slip backwards and always get back on track and recommit to your fitness goals. The journey to physical health is a life time project and each success will improve your confidence and vitality for years to come.
I have seen remarkable changes in lives and performance of Recruiters by exercising and increasing movement in our day and changing some of our actions and habits that keep us in “comfortable ruts” or stop us from getting the recruitment success we are targeting for 2016.
I challenge you to go to my website at www.abcshealth2success.com and download the Desk Exercises form I have there or even google for additional ones that you like and start doing them at your desk today. Remember to never do an exercise if it causes pain or discomfort. I also challenge you to get outside for a minimum of20 minutes for the next 20 days or go 20 for 20!
Remember that when you enjoy and are enthusiastic about what you do, you naturally generate confidence and motivation so dance if you love dancing and garden if you love gardening and train a marathon if this makes you happy!
As Bill Bower, the founder of Nike says so wisely...”If you have a body you are an athlete, so get moving” and you will grow your billings as you improve your health!